Bhuvanagiri - The abode of Kannada Mate
Bhuvanagiri in Siddapur taluk is the only place in the entire State where a temple is dedicated to Kannada Mate Bhuvaneshwari Devi.
Situated atop the 300 feet tall Bhuvanagiri, the three centuries old temple can be reached after an ascent of 350 steps. The temple deity is worshiped on all days of the year, complete with naivedya andabhisheka, accompanied with the chanting of mantras. Surrounded by lush greenery on all sides, the age-old temple is a feast for the eyes. A casual glance at the rich historical past of the temple is enough to recognise the significance of the place. Though the idea of a temple dedicated to Bhuvaneshwari Devi was conceived by the Kadambas, the rulers of Vijayanagar carried it forward, so much so that they would not venture out without paying their obeisance to the deity. Finally, it was the rulers of Bilagi who constructed the temple of Bhuvaneshwari Devi in Bhuvanagiri. It all started when Tirumala, the then ruler of Vijayanagar, was unable to bear the torture of Bijapur ruler Adil Shah and shifted his kingdom to Pennugudi (present day Chandragutti) with the help of the rulers of Shwethapura (present day Bilagi). Bilagi kingdom spread from Gangavali river in Uttara Kannada district to Gangolli river in Udupi district. Since the rulers of Bilagi were both valiant and great admirers of Kannada language, a temple was built in dedication to Kannada Mate Bhuvaneshwari Devi. There is ample evidence to suggest that the temple was built in 1692 by Basavendra, the last ruler of Bilagi. Since the area is populated by people belonging to the Havyak community, the temple administration is taken care of by them.
According to elders of the place, though there is an idol of Bhuvaneshwari Devi installed by Vijayanagar rulers in the Virupaksha temple in Hampi, Bhuvanagiri is the only place in the State where Bhuvaneshwari Mate has a temple of her own.